Thursday, 7 September 2017

Borno Records 530 Cholera Cases, 23 people Dead



The UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs said on Thursday that cholera has claimed no fewer than 23 people out of the 530 suspected cases in Borno.

The UN agency, in a statement, said that the cholera outbreak was first reported by the state’s Ministry of Health on August 16, 2017.

“Over 530 suspected cases had been registered as of September 5, 2017, including 23 deaths (4.3 per cent fatality rate).

“The outbreak is mainly in Muna Garage, a camp hosting at least 20,000 internally displaced persons on the outskirts of the state capital, Maiduguri.

“Although most cases have been identified in Muna Garage camp, others have been identified in Custom House, Ruwan Zafi and Bolori II, all camps located near Muna Garage.

“There have also been reports of a suspected cholera outbreak in Monguno and Dikwa Local Government Areas, northeast and east of Maiduguri, respectively,” OCHA said.

No comments:

Post a Comment